How to improve memory and concentration
Memory flickering while studying and taking exams? Struggling with stressful work situations, locking in important information or activating memory recall are common frustrations that can be managed. The trick here is to master a few routines and methods to improve memory and concentration. We unpack some brain and body wellness basics and tips to enhance your studying experience.
5 ways to improve memory and concentration
Explore these five elements to optimise your lifestyle to improve memory and concentration.1. Apply study methods and best practices
If you are studying, ensure your approach is done the smart way, by using learning methods that work for your learning style.
- Stay organised – both in your notes and your space
- Prioritise and use time management, timers are a great tool to set the sessions
- Reinforce repetition
- Use acronyms, abbreviations and mnemonics
- Group information so it is more manageable to process and understand
- Read your content out loud
- Use visualisation
- Make new content relatable
- Vary your study routine by location, and time and add in some novelty approaches to make it more memorable
- Eliminate distractions
- For an extra dose of tough love on yourself, block out digital distractions with Cold Turkey.
- Focus on a single task at a time and avoid multitasking
- Use a calming instrumental playlist to cue and keep you in study mode
2. Enhance mental wellness
An overwhelmed mind is a strained mind and will not perform as well as in a calm mental state.
- Practice mindfulness through meditation
- Avoid using bright lights before bed
- We recommend adjusting your screen’s brightness or using a screen filter. For Apple product users, use Night Shift mode. If you are studying on a non-Apple device, try F.lux or other alternatives).
- Actively learn new things to strengthen your brain’s capacity
3. Engage your body
Your body is the vessel for your mind. Keep it conditioned for it to be able to support heavy mental study sessions.
- Get out, get into nature and get grounded
- Exercise (even a little walk will greatly benefit you)
- Take breaks in between study sessions or while you are working
- Stick to a sleeping schedule and get proper amounts of sleep
4. Optimise your diet
Fuel your mind and body with the necessary goods to keep it going.
- Drink more water and stay hydrated
- Consume more nuts, leafy greens, berries and omega-3 fatty acids found in fish
- Decrease sugars, fried and processed foods, and regulate your intake of red meat
5. Supplement efforts with Herbay Memory & Concentration
To fortify your memory function, try our formulated tincture designed to improve your ability to concentrate and retain information. This blend improves blood circulation and helps to transfer messages from one nerve cell to another, allowing for clearer thinking and better long-term memory recall.
- 50% Medicinal Ethanol – a common extraction solvent for our medicinal products
- Ginkgo Biloba – some studies show that this extract improves cognitive function through:
- Improving blood flow to the brain
- Reducing oxidative stress
- Inhibits of the neurotoxic effects of amyloid beta
- Gotu Kola – assists in anxiety reduction
- Ashwagandha – a traditional adaptogen widely used ingredient that contains a chemical that helps:
- Calm the mind
- Lower blood pressure
- Alter the immune system
- Support the body’s ability to combat stress
While there are ways to enhance your cognitive ability and improve memory and concentration, speak with your doctor when symptoms persist. Be sure to check if you have an underactive thyroid or hereditary links to dementia or Alzheimers.